Friday, January 15, 2010

My dog's nail got torn...keep it wrapped?

My dog tore his nail a few days ago. I always keep them short, but somehow he must have snagged it and tore it. It is ripped about half way down, the quick is exposed. When I noticed it, it was bleeding. I cleaned it and it stopped. Then I noticed that there was a lot of dirt (from going potty outside) and fuzz attached to it, so I started cleaning (peroxide) and wrapping it every day. He's been wrapped for a couple days now. I've tried to limit his activity. I took off the wrap to clean it and it's not bleeding ot anything, but has a dark color to it. When I put the wrap on yesterday, it was clean and normal nail color. I left the wrap off now and he's been licking it. Should I let him? Should I wrap it again? Will the rest of the nail die? I know it has to be kept clean, but will cleaning it too much do something to the nerve? Do I just leave it? My dogs have snagged their nails before, but they just grew back with no problems. I don't want to hurt him by touching it if I shouldn't. He listens very well and does what I tell him even if it hurts, and I know cleaning it hurts him. I feel bad.My dog's nail got torn...keep it wrapped?
If the quick is exposed, that's very painful for the dog. It can also get Infected very easily. You need to get your poor dog to the vet, and they might have to remove the nail!My dog's nail got torn...keep it wrapped?
I would not keep it wrapped. Unless you've been trained to properly wrap a limb it's VERY easy to cut off the circulation.


Yes, keep it clean but do so by soaking it in warm soapy water then rinsing it well.


Peroxide is not a disinfectant %26amp; can actually inhibit healing.


If it was my dog, I'd take him to the vet so they can trim off the torn area %26amp; possibly start him on an antibiotic.
its probably best to take him to the vet to have the nail removed. if it is still attached , he runs the risk of tearing it again causing him pain and unnecessary bleeding.
your probs referring to the dew claw, this will cause massive pain to your dog and are usually taken off when they are young to avoid this from happening, you should see a vet asap so your dog is not hurting
It's good that you were able to stop the bleeding. Once one cuts into the quick, it can be relatively difficult to stop the bleeding.





I would simply place a sock over the clean paw/wrapped foot to keep him from chewing it, and to keep the paw clean while he is scampering about outside.





If things look normal, and nothing is on his paw, yet, he is still licking at it, bothering it, etc, there's a possibility that it could be painful. I would get in to see your vet, and get it looked at. I work at an emergency clinic for pets, and in some cases the nail must be manipulated or removed. They can also give him some pain medication and/or antibiotics as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment